Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Nepal: a summer for the books.

The past 8 weeks I've spent in Nepal have been a whirlwind of emotions, lessons, friendships, challenges and growth. Spending the last two months away from my friends and family forced to learn a new culture, language (which I've not even close to mastered), and make new friends has been nothing short of challenging. However, I will say that those challenges changed my life.
Nepal has captured my heart in a way that I will never be able to adequately explain to anyone that hasn't been to the country that is home to the Himalayas, and the birthplace of Buddha.
The challenges here have been in wide array; from discovering that I should've brought toilet paper from home to surviving a dangerous bus crash. But each challenge became a lesson, a memory, a piece of me that has made me a much stronger and more courageous person, as I return home.

I came to Nepal for an internship in the Kanti Children's Hospital- a government hospital that is within the Kathmandu Metropolitan City. Being pre-med, there was very little as far as procedures and assisting that I could do, but I was still able to observe and learn an extreme amount. My first week was spent in the physio-therapy ward, where I saw various physio-therapy patients, as well as neurological OPD patients. Then I moved to the immunizations ward, where I was able to do a bit of clerical work- signing the patients in, differentiating which shots needed to be given, etc. The next four weeks (and most rewarding weeks), I spent with a resident unit. I followed them to various wards in the hospital, as they went on rounds, conferred with their consultants and did various procedures- mostly bone marrow aspirations, and lung punctures (LPs, spinal taps). For many of these procedures I was needed to help hold down a patient, or keep them calm as the doctors performed the procedure. Although somewhat challenging emotionally, this was one of my fondest memories of my internship. Even though I wasn't the lead doctor- I was a crucial part of the procedure. Keeping the child calm. It all goes back to how important the medical team is as a whole, and not just one piece, which is what draws me to medicine. It comes down to more than just one person, it comes down to more than just science. Medicine is a team effort, that also requires compassion, empathy, enthusiasm. and a spirit for helping people and making a difference.
My final week was spent in the Radiology department, which proved to be extremely interesting, even leading me to check out radiology programs, as another possible medical avenue.
Overall, my experience at the Kanti Children's Hospital was unforgettable. The doctors and medical staff taught me so much, and the children captured my heart. Exactly what I was hoping for in a medical internship.

Outside of my internship, I spent time with other volunteers who were staying in my "home-stay/apartment" exploring the city. For the first few weeks, I spent a lot of time alone- which was pretty hard for me, to be completely honest, but forced me to face my fears, and accept the daily challenges that weren't as hard as I was making them. Several times I found myself lost, and several times I found my way home. But as more volunteers came and I began to find myself in this foreign country, I formed friendships- ones which I hope will last a lifetime. I now began venturing father from my home base, this time with friends by my side. Making the adventures much more meaningful and enjoyable.

I am so blessed to have had the amazing opportunities and adventures that came with being in Nepal. Thanks for taking the journey with me, everyone, and following along via my blog. Your support and prayers were essential and I will never be able to thank you all enough for that.
Nepal, I'll see you soon. But for now I take on my "real" life with a new perspective on life, love and myself.
Thanks for the memories.