Friday, June 12, 2015

1 week. 7 days. 168 hours.

This post won't be very long today, since I wrote yesterday- but since I've officially been in Nepal for a week, I thought a blog post was fitting. 

I've already learned so much about myself, this country, and life in the last 7 days. 
I won't lie, this week was really hard for me, adjusting to being away from home and the insane amount of culture shock that I experienced upon arrival. Guaranteed, not every day will be easy, and I still miss home everyday, but each day it gets easier. Each day I adjust a little more to the culture, and find little ways to make reminders of home and feel comfort. I am certain that I will come out of this a completely changed person, with a perspective on life that not many people get the chance to experience. And I am beyond thankful for that. 

It's crazy what things become such a luxury and blessing when you find yourself worlds away from your family and friends, in a new place- especially one so different from your usual. I've never been so thankful for WiFi in my life. Or a fan. Or having power during the hot times of the day and night. Or for friends and family, who have been so encouraging and supporting in this first week. 

My blessings are many, and God's mercies are new each day. Remembering that makes the passing days easier, and the passing moments more meaningful as I continue on this crazy adventure in Nepal. 

Each day my brown skin gets darker, my heart becomes fuller with love, and less heavy with hardship, and I become more certain that no one can predict what God has in store for us, or the beautiful ways He uses us for His glory.


"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." 
  - John 1:5 
   
"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. 
  - James 1:12

7 weeks to go.