Sunday, June 7, 2015

HOT, HOT, HOT

Namaste!

There's no hiding or escaping it, Nepal is HOT, HOT, HOT. Luckily the monsoon season will bring some relief soon, cooler temperatures, along with rain, which will turn the dust into mud I'm sure... That's the other thing I've noticed, Nepal is quite dusty and dirty, but for a people that live is such poverty in the hot and humidity, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I've grown accustomed to taking off my shoes at entrances and learning that sweat, is to be expected. 

There is no telling how often I will be making blog posts, but quite a bit has happened in the past couple days, and in an attempt to finally adjust to the time zone, and rid myself of jet lag, I'm using this free afternoon to get organized in the place I'll be staying, to blog a bit, journal, spend some time in my Bible, and finally make time to read one of the books I brought along. 

Yesterday we were able to spend a little time at the Monkey Temple, which for the most part was very destroyed and affected by the earthquake. Therefore, a trip that would normally be 3 or 4 hours, only took us 1, as much of the sights were no longer in tact. We were able to speak with a family, that was friends of the WI staff member we were with, whose home (right in the midst of the Monkey Temple) was completely destroyed. It was so encouraging and simply moving because they, like many other Nepali people seem so resilient, and strong in the midst of the tragedy and poverty that surround them. I am so struck by the strength that the whole country seems to have. It really puts, our "America standards" into a completely different light. Anyway, so this family owned a store that they had since closed, because of the decline in tourism. But they opened it for us so we could look around, no pressure to buy. My heart felt such compassion and endearment for this family though, that when I stumbled upon this beautiful elephant (my favorite animal) I couldn't help but buy it. 
Stupa- at Monkey Temple site
Destruction amongst Monkey Temple

Elephant Treasure
Today we had our orientation into the program, and what Nepal and the Kanti Children's Hospital has in store for us. We also got a little bit of a Nepali language lesson, which will prove very helpful in the next few weeks and months to come. We also were placed in our housing. Originally we were to be assigned to a homestay, which was still an option, but after the earthquake less homestays were available. So we were also given the option of staying in the rooms "apartments" that are located on the upper levels of the WI office. I ended up choosing the "apartment" option, for several different reasons, and thus far am pretty happy with my decision. Of course I always have the option of moving to the homestay later in my trip- if my heart so desires. A big reason I selected the "apartments" are because of the incredible feel of serenity and calmness I get when I am around the WI staff. They are so welcoming, and keep assuring me that they will always be with me, helping me, until I am acquainted and strong enough to be on my own. It makes it much easier to be worlds away from my dearest mother, knowing that I still have people looking out for my best interest. (Not to say the homestay wouldn't have provided the same comfort). 

The company here in Nepal that works with WI which is based in the United States, is actually called VolNepal, and they work with non-profits and individuals who are looking to come to Nepal and volunteer, especially now after the earthquake. In my free time I will be doing some media work for them- with social media sites, and other aspects of media. I will also have the opportunity to help a on a VolNepal volunteer team that are working to rebuild schools that were destroyed in the earthquake, which is VolNepal's current project. I am so excited for the additional opportunities that await me here in Nepal, other than my work in the hospital. 

Speaking of which, tomorrow we go to the Kanti Children's Hospital (where I will be working for the next two months) and tour and meet many of the doctors and nurses, along with the director, Bishop. I am so excited to finally start my medical part of this journey, and cannot wait to see what Nepal- Asian, developing country- medicine looks like. Mostly, I am excited to just have more experience and shadowing time in the medical field.

The adjustment period continues to be a struggle as I was told many times it would be. It is a comfort that the WI office has WiFi that seems to be pretty consistent, and many parts of Nepal- cafes, restaurants, etc. also have WiFi, so I've been able to keep in contact with my mom, family, friends, and update my blog. It is truly a blessing to be able to message your mom when you're worlds away, especially one as great and comforting as mine :) - and it wasn't a certainty that it would be a possibility. I'm told once, I'm busy and the first few weeks have passed, I will feel less anxiety and the strangeness that has been pretty constant in my first few days. Even now I am starting to adjust a bit more, so I can't imagine the peace and calmness I'm sure to feel once a couple weeks have passed. 

Well, I think that's more than enough rambling on my end. I am so glad that you are taking the time to read my blog, it really is a sign of the incredible life I have back in America, and even more how blessed I am to have such an awesome support system. Please continue to send your prayers and good thoughts my way. Don't hesitate to send me a Facebook message if you have questions, or just want a little dose of "Lily time", as most evenings and mornings I will have the opportunity to respond. 

I'm sure this week will give me many reasons to blog again, so until next time it is.