Friday, June 5, 2015

And So It Begins

My journey to Nepal began after flying out of Chicago, Wednesday evening. The 10-hour flight landed me in Istanbul, Turkey where after a 3-hour layover, I hopped on another plane bound for Kathmandu. However, once we were above Kathmandu, Nepal,  the captain informed us that because of damage to the tarmac, that was endured during the infamous earthquake, we would have to go back an hour, and land in New Delhi, India. We sat on the plane in New Delhi for around an hour and then flew back to Kathmandu and we were able to land, turning my 7-hour flight, into a 10-hour flight. After a long wait at a baggage claim, and successful entry through customs, I was picked up by a member of the World Internships (WI) staff and another medical intern that will be joining me this summer. 


We headed to the WI office, met some of the additional staff, had some lunch and then went to the hotel we will be staying in for just a couple of days, until we move into the homestay. Of course after hours on a plane I decided to take a nap, around 4 and slept until 8. Feeling significantly tired I went back to sleep around 9, with the hopes that I would sleep through the night. That how ever was not the case, and that is what has me up, at 2 am, Nepal time, writing this blog post. 

I am ever so excited for this journey and can't wait to see what these two months have in store. But the first few weeks will be full with homesickness, culture shock and many other things that I pray I have the strength to endure. I will hold true to the fact that I am never alone and I have such an amazing family and friend support system, that there's no way I can't do this.

Hopefully, soon I will be able to add some pictures to this blog, but for now I'll attempt sleep.