Friday, June 19, 2015

Unity in Diversity

In the midst of all the tragedy and sadness surrounding the shooting at the Charleston AME Church, I thought that it would be appropriate to take a moment for mediation, reflection and prayer for this entry of my blog.

It is crucial that we learn to come together, as a people, a nation and a world- because if we never find a way to do that, we will surely be overcome by evil. We must learn to love one another, not in spite of, but because of our differences. Each day as I spend time in this completely FOREIGN country, I am reminded of God's wonders and how beautifully we have all been made. Regardless of color, religion, nationality, or culture- we are all made in the image of God, and if that doesn't unite us, I don't know what does. When you spend time in another culture, country, and find yourself to be the one that stands out, you have a completely different aspect on what it means to feel "different". But not once during my time here in Nepal have I felt unwanted, threatened or like my life was in danger, because of those differences. Remembering those moments and how I've felt so welcomed in a country that is not my own, makes my heart ache even more for the families, and community of the 9 wonderfully made lives that were taken. 

I'm not going to sugar-coat it, there have been some extremely difficult times and moments for me here in Nepal. But to know how awesome and amazing our God is, makes the hard times seem more peaceful, and the challenges seem surmountable. But if I (or anyone) used the energy we spend feeling sorry for ourselves to make a difference in this world, or make a change, I truly believe we would see less hardship, and more unity. And isn't that what this life is about? 
So yes it's hard to to wake up at 6:00 am every morning to barking dogs, and adapting to cold showers and plumbing issues. Plus, not being able to communicate with people gets to be so frustrating. And being away from home is the hardest, and at times have been unbearable. But I am alive. I am healthy. And I am chasing my dreams. So all of trials that just a week ago seemed impossible, now seem so much more worth it. 

At the end of the day we all have a purpose. Finding the purpose might be hard, and scary and challenging. But God gives his toughest battles to his strongest warriors, and together we can overcome anything. We can rise as a nation, as a world, and as humans and become the best version of who we were meant to be. The smallest change, can make the biggest difference. And it starts with you, it starts with me. 

I'm not claiming to have the answers, or the solutions to any of these problems, but I do see room for conversation, and ideas to be shared. 

I am beyond blessed to be chasing my dreams on this journey in Nepal. The past two weeks have been full of emotions (sadness, happiness, frustration, fear, bravery), but I wouldn't 
want to be spending my summer- learning, living, experiencing- anywhere else. I'm 1/4 of the way done with this journey, and I am overwhelmed with excitement to see what God has in store for me these next 6 weeks. 

Lord, I pray that you comfort those dealing with the difficulty of this week's events. Whether it's the shooting in Charleston, or a trial closer to home. I pray that you comfort them, and show them the grace and peace that I have come to find through you, during this trip. I am thankful for your blessings and mercies, and hold true to the fact that they are new each day. 
Amen